Monday, May 29, 2006

A Blessing Or A Blot?

This morning in one of the devotionals I read, it focused on this Memorial Day and whether our lives will live on after we're gone as a blessing or a blot. You can find it to read at RBC-Our Daily Bread for Monday May 29. Here's a quote from that devotional:

On Memorial Day in the US, we pause to honor those of past generations. While many stirring recollections flood our minds, we realize that the time will come when each of us will also be a memory. What will others recall of our words and deeds when they think of us?

What will your memorial be? Determine by the grace of God to live for Him and give yourself to the needs of others. Then your testimony will become a blessing and inspiration to all who follow in your steps. --Richard De Haan

What have you written on memory's page?
Deeds that were done in the Master's name?
Words that were spoken to spread His fame?
What have you written today? --Anon.

This follows closely on the heels of my previous post about the Bibles I received over the weekend. Not only should I consider what my Bible will say about me after I am gone, but what memories will I leave behind? Will my children and grandchildren remember me as a blessing, as someone who loved them unconditionally and was there for them, as someone who encouraged them and prayed for them, as someone who had time to listen to them and to spend with them? Will they remember me as someone who loved unselfishly, who had a servant's heart, who walked in the ways of Yeshua to the best of my ability? Will they remember me as someone who refused to compromise with the world, who refused to compromise the Word of God? Will they remember me as a woman of integrity, honesty, loyalty, humility? Will they remember me as a woman who loved not the world or the things that are in the world, but who gave all that she could, whose affections were set on things above and not on things of the earth? This is definitely something that is worth taking the time to ponder and consider and make any necessary adjustments to obtain the desired end result. Do I want my life to be a blessing or a blot?

No comments: