Saturday, August 12, 2006

Be Do-ers Of The Word

James 1:22-25 (Amplified) But be doers of the Word [obey the message], and not merely listeners to it, betraying yourselves [into deception by reasoning contrary to the Truth]. For if anyone only listens to the Word without obeying it and being a doer of it, he is like a man who looks carefully at his [own] natural face in a mirror; For he thoughtfully observes himself, and then goes off and promptly forgets what he was like. But he who looks carefully into the faultless law, the [law] of liberty, and is faithful to it and perseveres in looking into it, being not a heedless listener who forgets but an active doer [who obeys], he shall be blessed in his doing (his life of obedience).

Today's Bible reading, following the weekly Parasha readings, is Deuteronomy 7:12-11:25, with additional readings in Isaiah 49:14-51:3 and Hebrews 12:1-29. I think Deuteronomy is my favorite Torah book. Last week's Parasha reading from Deut 3:23-7:11 was one of the best sections of all, but the reading for this week hits right up there, too!

The theme that seems to reiterate throughout this passage of Scripture is "love Me, keep My commandments." And that reminds me of the very words of Yeshua Who said, "If you love Me, keep My commandments. (John 14:15)" It also reminds me of the verses from James at the top of this post. All of these verses remind me that the pathway of obedience is the pathway of blessing.

So how do I be a "do-er of the Word?" Okay, so I keep the Biblical Sabbath and set it aside as a day to honor, to rest from my labors, and to focus on my Father God & His Word. That's easy enough. But what about walking in honesty and integrity in all of my business dealings? That might prove a little harder, especially if it's going to cost me money. For instance, a person buys a used car from a private owner. Here in Wisconsin the purchaser is then obligated to declare the purchase price to the state and pay sales tax on that purchase. What often happens in these private sales, however, is that the purchaser pays one amount but reports a much smaller amount to the state in order to pay less tax. So let's say that I bought a car from you for $850, which would mean paying $46.42 to the state in sales tax, but instead of declaring the purchase price as $850 I lower it to $250, which means I pay the state only $13.20. I justify my actions by saying that I already pay plenty of taxes to the state, but nevertheless, I have not been honest and have, in fact, "stolen" money from the state that I was obligated to pay. Is this what Yeshua would have done? I think not. To be a do-er of the Word, I must be honest even in situations like this.

Romans 12:17 (Amplified) Repay no one evil for evil, but take thought for what is honest and proper and noble [aiming to be above reproach] in the sight of everyone. [Prov. 20:22.]

How about when it comes to forgiving those who have hurt me? A friend of mine shared a daily devotional with me from Joni Earickson Tada, in which Joni addresses this matter of forgiveness. Here it is:

"When God saw what they did and how they turned from their evil ways, he had compassion and did not bring upon them the destruction he had threatened." — Jonah 3:10

God has this thing about showing compassion on whomever He wants. Sometimes we don’t like that. The nerve of God to save that child abuser, to reach out to that rapist on death row, to show compassion to that drug pusher!

If you’ve ever felt the stab of resentment when God wipes the slate clean for somebody whom you would rather he wiped off the face of the earth, then guess what? Jonah felt the same way. God wanted Jonah to go to Ninevah to preach the gospel; so he packed his suitcase — and took the train in the opposite direction. He despised those drug-pushing, idol- worshiping, fornicating Ninevites.

After ships, storms, seas, and whales, God gave Jonah another chance to rid himself of the resentment. So Jonah climbed up on his soapbox in the middle of the town square and preached that the Ninevites were about to get their just desserts. “Forty more days and Ninevah will be destroyed.” Never had Jonah had such joy in preaching fire and brimstone.

But what happens? The Ninevites repent — and God forgives them. That really makes Jonah mad. He says to the Lord, “Isn’t that just like you?” God responds, “Have you any right to be angry, Jonah?” Those words stung.

And they sting today when we hear of serial killers who come to Christ or death-bed conversions of tyrants. But God will have compassion on whomever He wishes. We’re all too like the laborers in Matthew 20:12 who complained, “‘These men who were hired last worked only one hour,’ they said, ‘and you have made them equal to us who have borne the burden of the work and the heat of the day.’” If God wants to give a full day’s wages to the worker hired at the eleventh hour, then what of it?

God wants to make a difference in someone’s life, including yours. Don’t let your resentment stand in your way.
* * * *
Lord, please keep me from anger and resentment when I see You blessing someone else. Help me to realize I’m hindering Your work in my life.

Blessings,
Joni and Friends


If I lost a loved one, a child or grandchild, to a brutal murder, could I be a do-er of the Word and forgive that murderer? My forgiveness would not depend on the murderer deserving to be forgiven or on the murderer's asking to be forgiven; it would only depend on God's commandment to "forgive, as I have forgiven you" and that I will be forgiven as I forgive others. Then later, if I heard that the murderer repented of his sins and became a born again child of God, would I rejoice or would I be angry that he was "getting off so easy?"

I think being a do-er of the Word ties in with Yeshua's command that if we want to be His disciples, we must take up our cross and follow Him. And how can I be a do-er of His Word if I don't take the time to read and study it so that I know how to be a do-er of it?

Even though I have been on this journey of faith for over 30 years, I find that there are still plenty of ways in which I am not a do-er of the Word, areas of my life that I need to submit to the LORD and learn to walk in HIS ways, not my own. He continues teaching me by His Spirit as I read and study and seek to apply His Word to my daily life. And so I cherish His Words to me from Deuteronomy today:

Deuteronomy 10:12-13 (Amplified) And now, Israel, what does the Lord your God require of you but [reverently] to fear the Lord your God, [that is] to walk in all His ways, and to love Him, and to serve the Lord your God with all your [mind and] heart and with your entire being, To keep the commandments of the Lord and His statutes which I command you today for your good?

Deuteronomy 11:1 (Amplified) THEREFORE YOU shall love the Lord your God and keep His charge, His statutes, His precepts, and His commandments always.

And so shall I strive to be a do-er of the Word.

No comments: