Sunday, August 20, 2006

Believe In Me

One of the Christian ministries that I have so greatly appreciated over the years is that of David Wilkerson and World Challenge. I have saved nearly every ministry teaching I've received from him over the years and have quite a collection now as it goes back over 20 years. The latest message from Mr Wilkerson is titled Forgive Me, Lord, For Making You Weep. I'd like to share a couple excerpts from that message and give some thoughts of my own with it.

The scene takes place in Luke 19 as Yeshua enters Jerusalem, in what we've called the "triumphal entry." Then you have the part where He stops, looks out over Jerusalem and weeps (Luke 19:41).

The concept of a weeping God is despicable to the minds of the wicked: "God crying? Why would anyone want a diety that shows weakness?"

Yet weeping is exactly what Jesus did here. The reason for his tears? It was the people's blatant unbelief.

Yet the same issue of unbelief remains today: How does Jesus feel about all the hardness and venom directed toward him in these times? There is a worldwide attitude of rebellion and blasphemy that says, We will not be put under any of God's rule."

Without question, our Lord is a God who feels. And I have to wonder: how can Jesus not be wounded by the great unbelief taking place throughout the world today?

Think of the unbelief of the disciples in the boat with Jesus, as it began to flood from the roiling waves. How wounded Jesus must have been as they aimed these accusing, unbelieving words at him: "Master, carest thou not that we perish?" (Mark 4:38)

It is the unbelief of multitudes of apathetic churchgoing believers that wounds our Lord. How it must pain him to see his people praising him, testifying of his goodness and power, preaching moving sermons on faith--yet God knows it's only lip service. In times of crisis, many of these same people fall away from their faith, thinking God doesn't care.

Yet even these aren't the people who wound Jesus the most deeply. His deepest hurts are inflicted by his closest, most intimate friends.

Yet at Bethany, Jesus had an even more intimate circle. This one was made up of Martha, Mary, and their brother, Lazarus.

This encounter wasn't so much about Lazarus' own death as it was about Christ's own death. Think about it: when the time came for Jesus to face the cross, how would his followers ever believe he could be raised up? There was only one way they would believe it. And that was for Jesus--there, in Bethany, with his beloved friends--to enter the most hopeless situation and work his purposes in the face of the humanly impossible.

I'm convinced Jesus would not have entrusted this experience to anyone outside his inner circle. Such things were reserved for those who were intimate with him, who didn't think as the world thinks. You see, it is only in such friends--people who know Christ's heart and trust him fully--that he can produce a faith which can't be shaken.

The fact is, Jesus knew all the future hardships that would take place in these dear ones' lives. He knew every illness and tragedy they would face. He also knew the destruction that was to come upon Jerusalem. And he wanted to see in them now a faith that would believe in his care no matter what calamity they faced. He knew this was the only thing that could get them through what was to come.

When Jesus finally arrived, Martha's first words to him were, "Lord, if thou hadst been here, my brother would not have died. But I know, that even now, whatsoever thou wilt ask of God, God will give it thee." These words may sound full of faith on Martha's part. But when Jesus responded, "Thy brother shall rise again," Martha's answer was revealing: "I know that he shall rise again in the resurrection at the last day." In other words: "It's all over for now, Jesus. You're too late."

Jesus replied: "I am the resurrection, and the life: he that believeth in me, though he were dead, yet shall he live: and whosoever liveth and believeth in me shall never die. Believest thou this?" (John 11:21-22, 23-24, 25-26).

Christ was telling her, in other words, "No, Martha, I am the resurrection and the life. Believe in me, and you'll never die." Again, he wasn't just talking about Lazarus, but about his own death and resurrection. To him, Lazarus' raising was already a settled matter: "Martha, don't you believe I can go even into the grave and do the impossible for you and Mary, all of your days?"

At that point, Martha "went her way" (John 11:28). And that's what most of us do in such situations. We don't settle the issue with Jesus, seeking him in faith, "Oh, Lord, help my unbelief." Instead, we simply walk away, back to our doubts and fears. And that wounds the Lord. Evidently, Martha didn't understand that Jesus wanted more from her than faith for just this one crisis. Christ wanted her to stop all her unbelieving tendencies, and to begin a lifelong trust in him that would see her through every trial.

Now I must ask you: are thngs any different today? Who in this world believes Jesus is God of the impossible? When the Son of man looks on the earth, does he find faith?

So dear saint: are you in the middle of an overwhelming trial right now? Have you prayed, wept and pleaded for help, yet things look hopeless? Maybe your situation has gone beyond all human possibility, and you're thinking, "It's too late."

I tell you, you have been entrusted with your crisis. God could have moved in at any time, but this is his opportunity to produce in you an unwavering faith that you need. He's looking for trust in him not just for what you're facing now, but for every impossible problem from now until you go home to be with him. Make no mistake: he rejoices over you. Yet he also loves you enough to build a faith in you that will see you through it all.

I have a button pinned to my purse, like one of those lapel campaign buttons you're probably seeing sprout up this time of the year. I got it a long time ago at a Harvest concert. It's blue, with the Christian fish emblem on it and the words "I Believe." Friday morning at work a co-worker stopped to remark on how she liked that pin, that it was simple and to the point, which is exactly why I have it on my purse as a small, quiet witness of my faith in the Messiah. The message from David Wilkerson showed up on my desk that same day, challenging me to examine myself, whether I truly DO believe Him or not.

Then yesterday at Sabbath fellowship, the Holy Spirit hit me with one of those "lightbulb" moments. He reminded me of that scripture:

Romans 4:3 (Amplified) For what does the Scripture say? Abraham believed in (trusted in) God, and it was credited to his account as righteousness (right living and right standing with God). [Gen. 15:6.]

Oh yes, Abraham believed in God! When God told Abraham to offer up his only son Isaac on the altar of sacrifice, Abraham never hesitated. He called for Isaac, a couple of servants, collected some wood and his knife, and off they went to the mountain where the sacrifice was to take place. Then when Isaac and Abraham climbed the mountain, leaving the servants behind, and Isaac asked him where the lamb was for the sacrifice, Abraham replied, "God Himself will provide a lamb for the burnt offering." There was no hesitation, no doubting, no fear, just simple trust in God's loving provision, accompanied by trusting obedience as he put one foot in front of the other. I think he could have taught Martha a thing or two. I know he can teach me a thing or two about believing on the LORD, walking in trusting obedience.

I've heard the story countless times, but yesterday it was as if it settled deep into my heart in a new and vibrant way. I want to believe like Abraham did. I want a faith that will not hesitate or waver or doubt, regardless of the odds stacked against me. "Though He slay me, yet will I trust Him" (Job 13:15). It's a fresh challenge to me to really believe, to really take the LORD at His Word, to live in all ways as the believer that I say I am.

LORD, I believe; help Thou my unbelief!

No comments: