Sunday, June 05, 2011

I AM Still Alive!

Oh boy! Where does the time go? It's hard to believe that it's been over two years since I posted anything here. I don't have much time today, either, so this is just going to be a really quick update.

I returned to college in September 2009 and have been fulltime ever since, working on a bachelors degree in elementary education/special education-learning disabilities. School keeps me quite busy. I think I've had 5 classes each semester, plus a 2 hour round-trip drive each day. I'm doing well in my classes--A's and a few B's. Right now I am enrolled in summer classes. I have one week left in the current class--Health & Physical Education for Elementary Teachers--then I will begin a 4 week class on literature for children. Enjoying all that I'm learning a lot, even though it has been stressful keeping up with all the assignments at times. Looking forward to next semester and 5 new classes. I still have 4 semesters to complete before I can expect to graduate in spring 2013. What happens after that, I really don't know. I am trusting the LORD to make direct my path in due time. For now, I am focused on preparing for whatever place the LORD is preparing for me where my particular life experiences, my appearance & age, and the person I am will be most useful.

Besides schoolwork, I'm trying to keep up with things here at home and in our family. There's always something going on or that I need to do.

At times I feel like I'm drifting spiritually, not spending as much time in His Word or studying, but I have made some progress with my prayer life. I've gotten in the habit of reading a chapter from Proverbs each day of the month--the chapter that has the same number as the day of the month. Last month I decided to write my family members' names in beside the chapter number that matches the number of the day they were born. Now when I am reading that chapter, I am also praying for that person. I find that it also keeps their names fresh in my mind so that I am praying more often for them even on other days of the month.

I know that one of the things that has been a drawback spiritually is the lack of consistent fellowship with other believers. Our home fellowship group had been meeting at least twice a month until about this time last year when one of the couples ran into some serious marital issues. Praise the LORD that their marriage is back on track and stronger than ever, but our group has lost momentum with fellowship meetings since then. This couple's home had been our primary meeting place. Adding to the difficulty is the fact that we all live so far apart. Rising gas prices haven't helped on that matter at all. I have thought about going to a Sunday fellowship, but just don't have any peace about doing that. It's not that I have anything against Sunday fellowships or Christianity as a whole, but I know that I won't fit in and that is a situation I just don't have the energy to deal with.

So I feel sort of like a plane that's been put in a holding pattern as it waits for its turn to land. I know this is just a season in my life. I know that I am learning things about myself that I've needed to learn and that the LORD is doing some needed pruning. Consequently, I try not to grow complacent and to keep growing in His grace and my knowledge of Him.

No comments: