Sunday, April 23, 2006

Thy Words Were Found

Jeremiah 15:16 Thy words were found, and I did eat them; and thy word was to me the joy and rejoicing of my heart: for I am called by thy name, O LORD God of hosts.

In my last post I wrote about how some 20+ years ago I developed the daily habit of reading and studying the Bible. I may have 'nailed' the habit at that time but my love for the Bible began when I was still just a child. My mother had a black-leather copy of the King James Bible which sat by her bedside. It had very tiny print, but lovely pictures. I have always loved books and reading so was quite intrigued by my mother's Bible. I asked her once if I could read it and she said No, that I wouldn't understand it. She never read it to me, either, or even any Bible story books that I can remember. But I didn't give up. I kept asking and when I was a little older I was given a copy of a children's Bible that was really more of a story book than a Bible. It didn't satify me for long. For Christmas 1973, when I was 16, all I asked for was a Bible. What joy I had that Christmas as my parents gave me a hardbound copy of The Living Bible! At last I had my own real copy of the Bible! Yes, I know that The Living Bible is a paraphrase and not a proper translation, but the Holy Spirit began to do a work in my heart through the words of LIFE that I was reading in that Bible. It was just a few short months later that I made the decision to follow Christ, when I was 17.

Later, after I began attending the Assemblies of God, I found out the difference between a paraphrase and a translation. I decided I needed a new Bible so that I could study and learn better. My 2nd copy of the Bible entered my life in 1979, a Revised Standard Version Harper Study Bible. This was a paperbound copy and has been much-used, so it is in rather fragile condition today. By 1983 I had 'graduated' to a hardbound copy of the Amplified Bible (which version I still love). Though hardbound, I have used this copy much and it, too, is in fragile condition today, though I still use it to compare scriptures. In 1988 I began using a Guideposts Parallel Bible, containing full texts from the King James, Revised Standard Version, New International Version, and Living Bible. I copied all my favorite Amplified verses into the margins, too. With this Bible, I figured I had at my fingertips two of my favorite versions from my earlier Bibles, as well as the tried & true King James text and the newly popular NIV. There was only one problem; this Bible is really big and heavy! Nevertheless, it served me well for many years and now has a safe place on my bookshelf, as it, too, is falling apart at the seams. For Christmas 2000, my sweetheart, my husband Tim, gave me a new Bible. This is the Bible I use currently. It's a New King James Women of Destiny Bible hardcover. Like all of my previous Bibles, this one too is underlined and highlighted, with many notes written in the margins or verses from another version copied into the margins for comparison and with stickers here & there to highlight especially important verses with certain themes. One other Bible that I need to mention is the Complete Jewish Bible, which I use for comparison, and which sits ready to hand at my desk. We recently purchased a copy of the Hebrew-Greek Key Word Study Bible New American Standard Version, but it's more for a study resource than to replace our personal Bibles.

Years ago I came across the following poem, which I have copied into the front of every Bible I have used. I have memorized this poem over the years and I can honestly tell you that I believe every word of it. There is NO book more valuable to me than the Bible and if the house was burning down, it's the only book I would try to save. It's more than just words on pages; it's LIFE to me and I love it very, very much!

THE BIBLE

This holy Book I'd rather own
Than all the golden gems
That e'er in monarch's coffers shone
Than all their diadems!

Nay, were the sea one chrysolite,
The earth a golden ball,
And diamonds all the stars of night,
This Book were worth them all.

For here a blessed Balm appears,
To heal the deepest woe;
And he who seeks this Book in tears,
His tears shall cease to flow.
--unknown

Over the course of time, I have learned many scriptures, mostly without actually memorizing them, just by repetition. And the Holy Spirit so wonderfully brings them to my remembrance as I meditate and ponder many things. But you know, there's one thing about the Word of God; it isn't enough to know all the scriptures, to have all kinds of 'head knowledge' about the Word, unless you also have 'heart knowledge' and are a Do-er of the Word (James 1:22-25). Psalm 119:11 reminds us that God's Word should be hidden in our hearts, that we might not sin against Him. Psalm 119 is one of my favorite psalms, so full of praise for God's Word, His Torah, and prayers to be able to remember and obey it.


Psalm 119:105 NUN. Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path.


Psalm 119:97 MEM. O how love I Thy law! It is my meditation all the day.


Psalm 119:26-32 (Amplified) I have declared my ways and opened my griefs to You, and You listened to me; teach me Your statutes. Make me understand the way of Your precepts; so shall I meditate on and talk of Your wondrous works. [Ps. 145:5, 6.] My life dissolves and weeps itself away for heaviness; raise me up and strengthen me according to [the promises of] Your word. Remove from me the way of falsehood and unfaithfulness [to You], and graciously impart Your law to me. I have chosen the way of truth and faithfulness; Your ordinances have I set before me. I cleave to Your testimonies; O Lord, put me not to shame! I will [not merely walk, but] run the way of Your commandments, when You give me a heart that is willing.

Psalm 119:33-40 Teach me, O Lord, the way of Your statutes, and I will keep it to the end [steadfastly]. Give me understanding, that I may keep Your law; yes, I will observe it with my whole heart. [Prov. 2:6; James 1:5.] Make me go in the path of Your commandments, for in them do I delight. Incline my heart to Your testimonies and not to covetousness (robbery, sensuality, unworthy riches). [Ezek. 33:31; Mark 7:21, 22; I Tim. 6:10; Heb. 13:5.] Turn away my eyes from beholding vanity (idols and idolatry); and restore me to vigorous life and health in Your ways. Establish Your word and confirm Your promise to Your servant, which is for those who reverently fear and devotedly worship You. [Deut. 10:12; Ps. 96:9.] Turn away my reproach which I fear and dread, for Your ordinances are good. Behold, I long for Your precepts; in Your righteousness give me renewed life.


Psalm 119:41-48 (Amplified) Let Your mercy and loving-kindness come also to me, O Lord, even Your salvation according to Your promise; Then shall I have an answer for those who taunt and reproach me, for I lean on, rely on, and trust in Your word. And take not the word of truth utterly out of my mouth, for I hope in Your ordinances. I will keep Your law continually, forever and ever [hearing, receiving, loving, and obeying it]. And I will walk at liberty and at ease, for I have sought and inquired for [and desperately required] Your precepts. I will speak of Your testimonies also before kings and will not be put to shame. [Ps. 138:1; Matt. 10:18, 19; Acts 26:1, 2.] For I will delight myself in Your commandments, which I love. My hands also will I lift up [in fervent supplication] to Your commandments, which I love, and I will meditate on Your statutes.

Psalm 119:49-50 (Amplified) Remember [fervently] the word and promise to Your servant, in which You have caused me to hope. This is my comfort and consolation in my affliction: that Your word has revived me and given me life. [Rom. 15:4.]


I am very thankful to live in a country where the Bible is freely available and to have such a wealth of Bibles on my own bookshelf. At times, it's an 'embassassment of riches' as I remember my brothers and sisters in the LORD in other parts of the world who long to own a copy of the Bible but cannot afford a Bible or cannot obtain one because they are in such short supply. That's why I appreciate ministries like Bible League and Gospel For Asia. As I enjoy reading and studying my Bible, I want to remember to do what I can to help my less fortunate brethren in the LORD own their own copies of the Bible so that they can read and study and "grow in the grace and knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ." I hope and pray that you, too, who are reading this, will love God's Word, will make time to read and study it each day, will hide its truths in your heart, and will remember to share it with those your life touches, to His glory and honor.

No comments: