Friday, July 14, 2006

Is My Light Shining?

Last night at work was an emotional downer, I guess I'd have to say. The company I work for fired two of its 6 team leaders yesterday/last night. I also found out that one young couple who've been living together for a couple of years and have a 9 month old baby boy have now split up; they were supposed to get married in September. There's another couple with a baby about the same age that had been living together though not married to each other that also recently split up. One of the young women I work with, a gal almost 21 years old and an aunt to that 9 month old baby boy previously mentioned, said how surprised she was to realize how many single parents work at our factory; she'd never stopped to think about it until it was her brother and nephew who were among the statistics. I also learned last night that one of the men I've worked with, who's been with the company for 21 years, has submitted his resignation and leaves at the end of next week. Another man who I've been working with told me this week that he'll be leaving the end of next week, too, to move out of state. I am going to miss talking to him; we have so many life experiences and interests in common, and he's just a very interesting person generally.

Thinking about all the ones who have left or are leaving and those who I continue to work with every week, made me wonder if I am having any impact on them for the LORD. Does knowing me make any positive difference in their lives? Do they see anything different in me or about me? Will the man who's moving out of state, with whom I have had several very interesting conversations, remember me after he's been gone 3 months, 6 months, a year? And if he does remember me at all, what will he remember? Will he remember me as a woman of integrity, of compassion, of mercy, of encouraging words, with a smiling face and a friendly greeting? Will he have seen Yeshua in me?

One of those mottos that I enjoy collecting, that I've had for many long years, says: Jesus Makes A Difference. Does my relationship with Yeshua make a difference in me that others can see? Do I lift up Yeshua in my words, my actions, my attitudes, my body language, etc? Am I letting my light shine?

Matthew 5:16 (Amplified) Let your light so shine before men that they may see your moral excellence and your praiseworthy, noble, and good deeds and recognize and honor and praise and glorify your Father Who is in heaven.

I'm not sure how to gauge what kind of impact I am having on the people I live and work with, if any, but I can recommit myself to walking in integrity and letting my light shine, walking in the same way that Yeshua walked.

No comments: